Monday, April 7, 2014

Sometimes even the "Professionals" don't have the right answers for bridesmaids.

Today I received a new copy of The Knot, which has quickly become my favorite publication about weddings.  There are always tons of photos of new gowns and great tips for any style of wedding.  Since the magazine is so large, it is easy to overlook something.  But today, I found a page titled, Wedding Party 101.  Then I looked back at previous editions and found the exact same page!  Sorry, I had missed it before because it sparked what could be multiple blog posts.
So today I will start with the one that I agreed with the most--Bridesmaids.
  •  For a modern but still put-together look--pick the color and fabric, but consider letting your bridesmaids choose the neckline and silhouette. 
         This one is a little unclear on whether it is stating for all the bridesmaid to look the same or just in the same color and fabric.  But I feel that either one is great.  For a long time, I sided with the "everyone must look the same" or at the very least the same style but maybe different colors (like a rainbow wedding). Then I did a style show with at least 6 different stock gowns in the same color.  As each girl came down the aisle (yes, it was in a church), I was amazed at how great all the different styles complemented each girl's figure while also looking good together! I wondered how many times I had given the wrong advice to a bride. More importantly, I changed my view!!  I am often asked for my opinion but usually try to feel out the bride first.  Then will find the closest option to aline with her feelings.
        This is important for all the bridesmaids to remember too! Yes, the bridesmaid wants to look good and feel comfortable for the day but ultimately, IT'S THE BRIDES DAY! The bridesmaid was selected to support her decision on becoming a married woman. I think my daughter said it best to her cousin, "I will look ugly for you that day!" And guess what, my niece selected green gowns.  The one color my daughter hates to wear. But she will be there smiling her beautiful smile for her special cousin! I will post pictures after the wedding in July.

  • Ask for your maids' advice, but make the final decision yourself.  You're the one who knows the big picture--overall look, formality and people's budgets--best.
 I think I covered this in the last comment but I still think it needs to be repeated loudly and often. IF IT'S NOT YOUR WEDDING, YOU DON'T HAVE THE FINAL SAY!! Yes, it is nice to have opinions from the bridesmaids but the final vote is made by the bride.  If a bridesmaid refuses to wear what you as the bride selects, you have the right to kick her out of the wedding.  On the other hand, sometimes you have to pick your battles. Maybe in the long run, it is easier to give in than to fight.  But just remember that the wedding picture will be hanging in your living room not hers!

  • The bridesmaids should try to place their orders at the same time to ensure that the dresses will be made from the same dye lot.
From all the store owners I have known over the years (almost 18 years now), this is taken care of by the store.  Once a style is selected, the store will give the wedding party a date to have all the measurements and payments in.  If the date is coming close, the store will notify the bride of anyone that has not completed their order.   My best advice is to give the bridesmaids a date at least one week before the date given by the store.  This way if someone is running late, you don't miss the deadline to order the gowns or need to pay additional rush shipping charges. 
If you do have someone who misses the deadline, you can order the remainder of the gowns on time and add one later.  Remember that the one added later will run the risk of being a different dye lot color. This is usually not a huge difference but can be noticeable. Shipping charges may also be added for rush shipping or for shipping one gown by itself.

  • Allow three months' delivery and alteration time for the dresses.
This is the one I think that The Knot got wrong.  Many stores are now stating 9 months for bridal and 6 months for bridesmaids. Shipping from China has changed drastically in the past few years.  So don't run the risk of getting the gowns the week after the wedding.  Shop early!!

  • Don't forget the extras.  Should the maids all have the same shoes, jewelry, hairstyles, handbags or wraps?  Communicate your desires clearly to your maids.  Email works great for this.
This is something you should put some thought into before going shopping for gowns.  If the bridesmaids know upfront what your expectations will be, it is easier for them to be on board.  If you don't have any set ideas, it could be easy for one of the bridesmaids to run the show.

Here are some bridesmaid styles.  Which one fits your wedding style?

One shoulder, charmeuse gown
Sweetheart, taffeta gown
























Short sweetheart, chiffon gown
Short V neck, satin gown




















Scoop neck, lace gown available long or short.
Convertible Wrap Dress. Make the neckline to fit your bridesmaid or wedding style.

No comments: