Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Advice on purchasing a quality gown

I recently viewed a video from TLC concerning how to tell if a gown is quality.  While the information is good, the video is very short. Therefore, there is no way that all the information you need to make the best decision for a gown is included.  So let's start by viewing the video.



The first item I really like is when Leslie says to look at the label for the content of the gown not the designer.  With 18 years of experience with searching for gowns at several bridal markets from Chicago to Dallas, I can tell you that there are moderately priced designers who use only the best quality of materials.  And on the down side, there are very high priced designers who use less quality materials wanting the customer to pay for the designer label.  Here are a list of the ones I consider to be among the best for their price ranges.
  •  Mary's Bridal - My favorite for the most bang for your buck.  All of their gowns are under $2000 with many under $1000. I usually stock their gowns in the $600-$800 price range.
  • Moonlight - This was the first company I could really tell the difference between their moderate line and couture line.  Their styling, bead work and lace are exceptional on the couture gowns.
  • Mon Cheri - This company offers many designers such as David Tutera, Sophia Tolli, James Clifford and Tony Bowls.  Each designer adds their own flare to each gown.  These gowns are regularly seen on shows such as Say Yes to the Dress being sold for $3000-$4000.  The actual suggested retail price of most gowns in these lines are in the $1000-$2000 range.  But the styling and craftsmanship can dictate higher prices for big city salons with large overhead costs to cover.  (That's another idea for another blog on why smaller boutiques can offer better prices!)
  • Andrew Adela - This is a relatively new designer to the bridal world.  The designer started with bridesmaid gowns and added mothers/special occasion gowns.  Both offer great styling and details.  Last fall I was excited to see their new line of bridal gowns but was very disappointed. I will keep an open mind for the next season and let you know.
There are plenty of other quality gown designers in lots of price ranges. My best advice to any bride is to find a bridal consultant you trust.  If you don't trust the consultant or store, simply do not give them your money. And if you want my honest opinion on poor quality lines, I am happy to give that in private. You can send me an email at rushvillebridal@yahoo.com.

No comments: