Monday, May 10, 2010

Passion for Weddings

To truly understand where I get my passion for my business, you need to understand a little about my family. From the time I can remember, I have attended family weddings for aunts, uncles, cousins and close friends that are like family. Almost every wedding is a royal occasion with numerous bridesmaids, groomsmen and guests. In the Midwest, many wedding are not formal affairs with seating charts and sit down dinners but rather a big celebration with lots of food and fun. The guest list includes all your family and friends and the occasion is talked about for years at the family reunion. Now with the invention of social networking, I have even seen pictures from weddings I attended many years ago and fondly remember special moments with the bride and groom. When it was time to plan my own wedding, I wanted nothing less than all the things I had grown up seeing, 7 bridemaids, 7 groomsmen, flowergirl, 2 ringbearers, 400+ guests, huge buffet dinner with a band for dancing into the night. What more could a girl want?
But while thinking about my business plan and why this is so important to me, I realized that one of the most important things for the wedding day was the ceremony. I spent more hours planning the ceremony that almost any other single item of my wedding. I thought about which song to sing at what time, what scripture readings to read and exactly how everything would fit together. Although I wanted a great reception, I was content to have someone else to plan most of that, mainly my mother. But the ceremony was all me. Why? I guess I have to go back to the family history. I have parents, grandparents and many sets of aunts and uncles that have been married for over 50 years. For them and for me, the wedding was a once in a lifetime occasion. It had to be just right the first time, because there was not going to be a second opportunity.
Fast forward 10 years after my wedding. My friend who owned the local bridal store in Rushville, Indiana was wanting to retire. I had enjoyed planning my wedding and attending so many others, that I thought this would be a perfect fit for me. I also wanted to include my mother who had done so many things for my wedding. So I purchased her business in the summer of 1996.
At first I wanted to take on all aspects of wedding planning, consulting, ordering gowns, renting tuxedos and everything else imaginable for weddings. I soon realized that I needed to be a little more specialized. So today, I have all types of attire for everyone in the wedding party and a few accessory items for the ceremony and reception.
As I continue this blog, I will include information about all types of gowns from various designers, tuxedos and many accessories.
Until next time, have a great time at your next special occasion!

No comments: