Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wedding Gown Prices

This past weekend, I traveled to Chicago for the National Bridal Market.  I was able to view thousands of new gowns for the 2014 spring season.  There are always three to four designers that I see because they are long standing accounts for my boutique.  I love having this relationship with special people who will help if there is a difficult situation. There are also an additional 6-8 accessory vendors who are also important to my business. 

But the second reason to attend a Bridal Market is to see what is new and who is up and coming in the industry.  This fall it seems to be David Tutera!!  He is huge on TV with two current shows that showcase his expertise in the wedding industry. 
Martin Thornburg and David Tutera





So with my daughter, niece and sister-in-law in tow for the show,  they insisted we go to see the David Tutera Collection for Mon Cheri.  Now this is a designer I have never carried in my store.  I have seen the gowns displayed at several markets but never seriously considered purchasing the line.  I really don't know why, the gowns are beautiful.  I think the price point or maybe the required minimums is what I was afraid of.

Upon finding our seats for the style show, we are greeted by a sales rep for the company who informed us that David himself would be at this style show and would give us information about the available gowns.  This really excited the daughter and niece but I was still cautious.  I like David's TV shows and the gowns I had seen in the past but I was there as a buyer not just a fan. 

And just like putting a bride in a gown out of her budget, I fell in love.  His gowns were the most gorgeous I saw the entire weekend.  They showed great detail with lace, embroidery, beading and bows.  The fabric was rich and fitted each model perfectly.  The detail to color was exceptional using a soft tea rose, stone blue or oyster to make the gown more dramatic that just white or ivory.  

Beautiful Tea Rose Trumpet gown on right.

And since my daughter and niece who are currently looking for wedding gowns, agreed that these were a must have, I am in a pickle!  My boutique currently caters for brides who want to spend under $1000 for wedding gowns.  I have always taken pride in the fact that I can find wonderful gowns with great detail in the $600 to $800 price range.  But the Tutera line has a average price point of almost $2000.

I have also justified that the brides in my area who want to spend in the higher price range will usually visit a larger city thinking they will get a better selection of gowns. 


But now I am rethinking.  If I put the higher priced gowns in the store, can I draw those brides?  If I have David Tutera gowns, will brides be willing to spend more to have a gown designed by him?   Will brides from larger cities like Indianapolis and Cincinnati come to Rushville just to purchase a David Tutera gown?

Ivory Lace over Stone Blue satin.
Purchasing this line of gowns would require almost twice the investment than ordering with my usual designers.  Is the risk worth the investment?  I would be spending more money but would be able to offer a quality gown with a great look by one of the hottest designers in the industry. 

Please help!!  I would like some feedback from former brides who maybe went over budget on the wedding gown.  Why and how did you make that decision.  Or if you are planning a wedding and want to have a special designer gown.  Feedback would also be great from any business owners who have made these kinds of decisions.

And with all these things going through my mind, I didn't get a picture taken with David Tutera!!  But here are a couple of my daughter and niece. 

Lindsay, David and Danniella
Meeting David Tutera


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That dress on the left of the first pic is AMAZING. (Found you on #31dbc). www.julienneink.wordpress.com

Unknown said...

Ok, I have been married twice. And I have purchased three wedding gowns in my life time. Don't ask for the details lol...it won't make much sense. But I can tell you...I bought the dresses that captured my heart. And I spent over $2000 on two and one I purchased for $600. But the $600 was a sample sale that retailed for above $2000....and I would have paid full price. So when I shop...I like to see the full selection.